Week 1: Is There Magic in Medicine?

Mar 02, 2020

Hello! I’m Kareena and welcome to the start of this eye-opening journey of mine:)

Throughout the course of my Senior Project, my goal primarily consists of being able to relate how culture impacts a patient’s life because it has a greater impact than people have realized. There’s more to a patient than treating one part of the body based on what numbers say; they must be looked at in whole. Their life experiences, their culture, their health all need to come into consideration, and I want to investigate if this is the best approach to medicine. This could potentially take a step further and promote the importance of more Americans inheriting a more nutritious diet. While my question is solely about Asian Americans, other ethnicities may be able to uncover the likelihood or even preventions of the chances of being diagnosed with Alzhemers.

As I am investigating the relationship between nutrition and the neurodegenerative disease of Alzheimers I will be working alongside Dr. Alidad Arabshahi, an ENT surgeon, at the Alexandria INOVA hospital where I will be shadowing his day-to-day patient interactions and the numerous cases he deals with to observe his approach of each case. This will potentially further my understanding in the medical field and as part of my independent research.

Attached below is my independent research project proposal. Please feel free to check it out!

7 Replies to “Week 1: Is There Magic in Medicine?”

1. Sanjana M. says:

Your project seems very interesting! Looking forward to seeing the results of your study especially on the connection to neurodegenerative diseases.

2. Charles T. says:

What differentiates Alzheimer’s with other neurodegenerative diseases?

1. Kareena K. says:

Great question. Neurodegenerative disease includes a range of conditions that primarily affect the neurons in the brain. The main difference between other diseases are the areas of the brain that are effected. For example, in Parkinsons neurons die in the part of the brain called substantia and in Huntingtons it’s the basal ganglia along with is being a genetic illness. On the other hand, there’s Alzhemers where you can find an accumulation on beta- amyloid cells all throughout the brain. On top of that, there are differences in their sympotoms like tremors, memory loss, and speech impediment.

3. davidc says:

This is really great, Kareena! It is such a good opportunity to be able to be in a hospital and experience the medical field first hand. Alzheimer’s is such an important topic and the more information we have, the better. I am fascinated to see the results of your research and to see how much of an effect diet has on the rate of Alzheimer’s disease. Generally, I think having a healthy diet is crucial so I hope to see more data to help support that and encourage people to live a healthy lifestyle. Great job!

4. Audrey K. says:

Oh wow Kareena! The results from your project will be very helpful to my family. I’m curious though, which ethnic groups are you referring to when you talk about Asian Americans? Do you mean East Asians, South East Asians, Indians, Oceania? Good luck in your project!

1. Kareena K. says:

Thanks so much Audrey! Well actually there are a lot of similarities between neurodegenerative diseases and to narrow down the vast subject area I have chosen Alzheimers. While primarily looking at Asian Americans and their dietary commonalities I am looking at nutrition in general and the effects that the food groups have on our brain cells.

1. Audrey K. says:

Ohhh. Thanks for the clarification! You’re focusing on the nutritional effect and not genetics/race.