Building Visualizations

Apr 28, 2020

This was a busy week!

I focused on refining the figures for the paper. I started out by working on plotting the trajectories of the zebrafish’s motion. Since I do not have access to the computer in the lab, I had to configure the tracking program on my own computer. While I ran into some issues, I have been able to get the program to work. I was able to track the zebrafish’s motion for the entire 5 minute free swimming period and I am now working on refining these figures in R with the TrajR package.

After building the trajectories, I worked on refining the markov models of zebrafish behavior. These diagrams show how one motor pattern of behavior leads to another and how likely it is that a pattern will repeat or transition. However, I have run into an issue with formatting the model directly in R so I will be using an external software to refine this model.

Pursuing this research has been an exhilarating process. I have thoroughly enjoyed not only being able to use new techniques to analyze the data but also being able to arrive at my own insights, conclusions, and theories. By understanding the composition and syntax of motor patterns in zebrafish, this project will achieve at a deeper understanding of how the brain puts together complex behaviors.

Leave a Reply

X