Week 3 already, huh?! Anyways, welcome back to my Senior Project Blog. I made lots of progress this week, so let’s get into it.
In the lab, I conducted a procedure known as Restriction Enzyme Digestion. Essentially, this procedure involves dividing the isolated Plasmid DNA I obtained through the Miniprep procedure in Week 1 into smaller fragments. Do you remember the horrendous name of the DNA I am using? Probably not … I don’t expect you to. The DNA I am using is called pET30-6H-Flu-A-NC (look at the previous blog post to learn the meaning behind this complex name). The restriction enzymes I use cut DNA at site-specific areas known as Restriction Sites. There are thousands of restriction enzymes available, and I simply used two: Ecor-1 and Xho1. The image below portrays where these two enzymes split DNA into two fragments.
As you can see, for Xho1, the restriction site is CTCGAG. For Ecor-1, it is GAATTC. The red lines indicate how they split DNA into two fragments. Next week, I will be preparing these DNA samples for gel electrophoresis again to observe the quantity and sizes of the DNA fragments obtained. Stay tuned for the results!
Due to the heavy nature of lab work this week, I was not able to allocate as much time towards my independent research. However, I am continuing my research on the tumor suppressor protein, p53! There is so much information on p53 that I want to reserve it all for a single blog post. As I will conclude research on p53 in the next two weeks, I look forward to sharing my findings, and how it relates to what I am doing in the lab.
That’s pretty much all for this week. Thanks for reading, and stay tuned for next week’s blog post! While I know my independent research and internship seem separate, I promise that things will come together soon. Cheers!